Today's Paper Search Latest Core values App Traffic map In the news #Gazette200 Listen Digital FAQ Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles/Games Archive

Two people have been arrested after a 2-year-old child was killed in a late-night shooting in northeast Arkansas, officials said.

Officers with the Osceola Police Department responded around 10:10 p.m. on Wednesday to a shooting call in the 400 block of Buckingham Street, Chief Ollie Collins said.

Collins said that the toddler was taken to Le Bonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., where the child died.

Collins told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that two suspects have been arrested, but he couldn't go into detail about who they were or when they would be charged.

"This is all the information I can give you right now," Collins said. "The investigation is still ongoing at this time; more information will be released when all the facts are gathered."

• JA40
    May 2, 2019 at 12:01 p.m.

Reckon the shooter had a background check.....oh, wait....no need....we live in Asa country.

• TheBatt
    May 2, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.

JA40 - criminals get guns regardless of the laws. Proven daily by the shootings in such anti-gun fortresses like Chicago. ASA has nothing to do with this - and your political hate doesn't help.

How about this - hold people accountable for their actions. Whoever shot this child, whether aiming for someone else, or the child - should be sent to the Electric Chair.

• MaxCady
    May 2, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.

I wholeheartedly agree, Batt, but they use the needle here in Arkansas. Old Sparky has been mothballed.

• 0boxerssuddenlinknet
    May 2, 2019 at 2:12 p.m.

Guillotine. nice clean and simple no pain involved.

• outinthesticks
    May 2, 2019 at 2:34 p.m.

Blytheville/Osceola area is becoming another Crime Bluff.

• JA40
    May 2, 2019 at 2:40 p.m.

Batt...I merely asked a question.....oh, but wait, I guess we're not in Asa country. Excuse me, please. Hold people accountable for their actions????? Maybe we could start with politicians.

• SeanJohn
    May 2, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.

JA40, I'll bet you a year's salary that I could go out today and purchase a gun without a background check because there are always non-dealers wanting to sell guns. I'd bet the gun in this horrible act was either purchased that way or it was stolen. I'm all for background checks at gun shows etc, but I don't know how you police someone like a buddy or relative selling you a gun. Most of my guns were handed down by my father, others I inherited from an uncle in Texas and the last gun I received was a Christmas gift from my brother in law. Many ways to get your hands on a gun without going through a dealer.

• LRDawg
    May 2, 2019 at 5:46 p.m.

Guns = Death

• MaxCady
    May 2, 2019 at 6:39 p.m.

Guns + the wrong hands = death.

• ZeebronZ
    May 3, 2019 at 1:42 p.m.

I hope if this was not a verifiable accident, that it was done in anger, that they are keeping the perps in jail and softening them up a little bit.