• Ken DeVries, assistant principal at East High School in Salt Lake City, the filming location for the 2006 movie High School Musical and a later series, said having a place in Disney history has been positive for the school as Utah rolls out a four-day, four-night itinerary for fans who flock to the campus.
• Skylar Waddell, 20, of Kansas City, Mo., who authorities say sped off in a man's truck along I-435 with the man clinging to the bedrail and crashed the vehicle in a median, throwing the man to his death, is facing manslaughter and other charges.
• Charles Breeze, 61, and Margaret Breeze, 47, of Georgetown, Ohio, face child endangerment and other charges after police, following a tip from a teacher, discovered that a home-schooled 11-year-old girl was malnourished, weighing just 47 pounds, and lived locked in a trailer.
• Loren Varga, 61, of Franklin Park, N.J., was sentenced to one day behind bars and two years' probation after being caught in a sting operation trying to buy a tiger-skin rug for $6,800 and telling the courtroom that he had a lifelong adoration for the endangered cats.
• James Garrett Taylor, 22, of Caledonia, Miss., faces an aggravated assault charge, accused by authorities of shooting at a preacher through the window of his vehicle after the preacher confronted Taylor for driving recklessly in a church parking lot.
• Benny Garcia, 29, of Holyoke, Mass., pleaded innocent to drug charges after more than 200 bags of heroin and cocaine were found in his home, authorities said, adding that they were alerted to the case after Garcia's 5-year-old son took heroin to school and told his teacher that when he tastes the powder he becomes Spider-Man.
• Devaunta Ashford, a former sheriff's deputy in Jefferson Parish, La., was charged with 12 counts of public payroll fraud and 12 counts of computer fraud, accused by investigators of clocking in for overtime shifts he didn't work and receiving $4,000 in overtime pay.
A Section on 11/17/2019
Print Headline: In the news