One thing all moms have in common? They're busy. Create this custom clipboard as a Mother's Day gift to help Mom manage her ever-changing to-do list.
A chalkboard is for jotting down quick reminders. A mirror for those "anything in my teeth?'" checks. A small box can hold chalk and pens. And the corkboard is for sticky notes, a memo pad or a snapshot of the crafty person who made this terrific gift.
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Overall time: 1 ½ days
Adult's help: Yes. This project uses Gorilla Glue, a very strong glue that can be harmful if not handled properly. Have an adult help with all gluing tasks. Gorilla Glue also expands as it dries, so apply it at least an inch away from the edge of all materials being glued on.
chalkboard paint with a paint mixing stick
small wooden craft box
two colors of acrylic paint
½-inch-wide round sponge brush (found at craft stores)
small mirror (found at craft stores)
four 4-inch-wide cork discs (found at craft stores)
small memo pad
HOW TO DO IT
1. Unroll blue tape across the clipboard clip, horizontally, making sure to cover the clip bottom completely. Place clipboard on the newspaper sheet.
2. Open the chalkboard paint and mix according to paint instructions. Paint the clipboard below the tape, moving in the same direction to create a smooth surface. (You can apply a second paint coat, if you like.) Wash the paintbrush in a sink. After 10 minutes, gently re-position the clipboard on the newspaper to avoid any sticking. Let it dry for 24 hours.
3. As the clipboard dries, squirt a quarter-size amount of one acrylic paint color on the paper plate. Use this color to paint the inside of the wooden box, using more paint as needed. When the inside is finished, rinse the paintbrush and paint the outside with the second color. Place the box on the newspaper to dry for five minutes.
4. When the chalkboard is dry, peel off the blue tape. Squeeze more paint onto the paper plate, as before, then dab the round sponge brush into a color. Stamp the sides and bottom of the chalkboard. Rinse the sponge in water, then squeeze, before changing colors. Let dry for five minutes.
5. Keep the clipboard flat and glue the mirror to the top right of the chalkboard. (The glue doesn't dry right away, so don't tilt the clipboard!) Glue the painted box to the bottom right with the opening facing the top of the clipboard.
6. Glue the cork discs, one on top of the other, on the bottom left of the chalkboard. Let all glued items dry flat for two hours.
7. Use the ribbon to tie a bow through the clipboard clamp hole.
8. Fill the wooden box with a mini eraser, chalk, pen and paper. Stick a few thumbtacks in the corkboard. Write Mom a sweet message with chalk and hide your gift until Sunday, Mother's Day.
ADG Families on 05/05/2020