Tell us about your organization:
• Mission: The vision of LifeSource is restoring the hope of a bright future to disadvantaged people and fractured communities in Northwest Arkansas. This vision is accomplished via our mission, which is to strengthen families and build communities.
• Services provided: Food pantry Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 8:30-11:30 a.m.; Monday, 6-7 p.m.; and Thursday, 5:30-7 p.m. with Spanish-speaking help available; after-school program during the school year; summer day camp for eight weeks; adult education; senior luncheons the first and third Saturdays of each month, serving lunch at 11:30 a.m.; family and marital counseling.
• What are your organization's most pressing needs? Dry foods such as pastas, Hamburger Helper, rice and beans; canned foods; finances.
• Service area: Food pantry, counseling, adult education, summer day camp and senior lunches serve all of Northwest Arkansas and the surrounding area based on being able to come to our facility. After-school programming serves Greenland and Fayetteville schools.
• Average number of people served annually: Approximately 63,100 people.
•How is your organization's mission unique? We don't just give a handout, we also give a hand up.
• Are there volunteer opportunities in your organization? What are they? Helping to make up pantry bags and take out food to our neighbors in their cars. Mon.-Fri. 8am-2pm.
• What other ways may people help? Host food drives, help talk about LifeSource, volunteer, donate money or food.
• Why do you work for a nonprofit organization? Do you have a personal connection to the mission? If so, what is it? It's close to my heart. There were times growing up that my parents had to choose between paying the bills or buying food. I love helping people. One of the best feelings ever is knowing that you made a difference in someone's life.
• Are there volunteer opportunities in your organization? What are they? We have many different opportunities right now, and more upcoming. Helping to make up pantry bags and take out food to our neighbors in their cars is a great opportunity from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday-Friday.
•What upcoming fundraisers and/or other events does your organization have planned? Empty Bowls is Oct 25. Information can be found at lifesourcenwa.org on the events tab.
Who: LifeSource International
What: Soup, bread, dessert, hand-crafted pottery
When: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 25
Where: Pratt Place Barn in Fayetteville
Tickets: $250 for 10-by-10 foot lawn space for for 8 or drive-through service available
Information: (479) 521-4000 or lifesourcenwa.org
— Carin Schoppmeyercschoppmeyer@nwadg.com