Today's Paper Latest Elections Coronavirus 🔵 Covid Classroom Cooking Families Core values Story ideas iPad Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles Archive

North Little Rock’s Nichole Cox touched a few nerves with a March 2 letter to the editor, headlined “No driving over 60.”

This story is only available from the Arkansas Online archives. Stories can be purchased individually for $2.95. Click here to search for this story in the archives.

Family, Pages 31 on 04/07/2010

Print Headline: Too old to drive?

• oldphart
    April 7, 2010 at 6:25 a.m.

If you see my 1937 LaSalle coming, would you please get out of my way, so I can have a better chance at keeping it between the white lines(or is it yellow?), because I am coming through!

• mgt60
    April 7, 2010 at 7:21 a.m.

Maybe nobody should be able to drive if they cannot pay attention to their driving. Mrs Cox said she had noticed older people not paying attention to their driving. I notice every time I go out driving, people that drift over the center line, drive to slow and fail to stop at a red light and they are not old people either. I have been almost run over several times by people that are not old. I think she is an idiot for even suggesting such a thing, but I also think that a person should be evaulated yearly after they reach 65 or 70 years of age.

• SpecialEd
    April 7, 2010 at 7:36 a.m.

What happened to equal treatment under the law? Test everyone or test no one. Age discrimination is not acceptable under the Constitution. I believe a more serious issue is distracted drivers of all ages. GET OFF THE PHONE AND DRIVE!

• stopshort
    April 7, 2010 at 8:47 a.m.

Equal treatment...interesting concept! Yep. And YES, get OFF the phone, turn your music down, and be attentive. A definitely more serious issue than chronological age, and because the young, the dumb, and the inconsiderate believe they are bullet-proof, it's a scary road out there anymore.

• stopshort
    April 7, 2010 at 8:49 a.m.

• dumblikeme
    April 7, 2010 at 8:56 a.m.

...Or maybe there should be a MINIMUM age requirement for submitting letters to the editor. Young people express their thoughts too quickly and do not carefully consider what they are saying. Just like Ms. Cox, I have witnessed this.

• scooter38
    April 7, 2010 at 9:02 a.m.

Too Old To Drive ?? My response is aimed at the young "Darlings" that I meet flying down the road in my direction ,thier empty lil heads barely
    visable thru the stering wheel, a "Cell" stuck thru thier green/blue/etc colored hair , firmly glued to thier ears by the inch thick multi-layered make up that covers the stupid look on thier sweet lil faces, always with at least two of thier parents four tires on my side of the yellow line. Going to ...School ?... Work...? YEAH , RIGHT !What % of issued traffic offenses ( DWI, Speeding E.T.C) do they have as compared to older Drivers ?????

• julianmilam
    April 7, 2010 at 10:59 a.m.

I agree that something should be done about older drivers, but also that there is a problem with other drivers in Arkansas. I noticed that my 20 minute drive is turned into a 40 minute drive because drivers want to go 25 to 30 in a 45 zone. I also notice that when it rains everyone drops 10 to 15 miles below the speed limit. I believe that the states should give tickets out to people who drive too slow since they are also disregarding the speed limit. As for older people I see them swurving all over the road, slowing at random times, and almost always disregarding the posted speed limit. It's almost as though they go out of their way to avoid going the speed limit. It's bad enough I have to read their republican propaganda on their bumper stickers, or their religious denominations views on life. The funny thing is when I drive the speed limit and tailgate them they like to stalk me to where I'm going to gripe at me for going the speed limit. I simply chalk it up to mental illness on their part or some form of anti-social behavior, or even some disgrimination they have for younger people. Maybe the states need to restrict driving at older ages like they do for those of younger ages.

• LR1955
    April 7, 2010 at 11:02 a.m.

As other's have said, I would like all states to require regularly retesting all drivers, written and behind the wheel. Maybe the car makers could put sensors on the steering wheels that will not let the car operate if both hands are not on the wheel. This might take care of the people that try to drive while: eating, texting, cell phones usage, make-up application, etc

• bill77tcampbellcocc_magnolia
    April 7, 2010 at 12:28 p.m.

Every generation has a bracket of poor drivers. It's not just the elderly nor the youngest drivers that cause the most damage; obviously we need to avoid stereotypes of drivers as well (Ms. Cox and user Scooter38). I think the focus should be at what age and for how many offenses should a driver be regularly retested to maintain their license, not which generation has the most offenses.