Today's Paper Latest Elections Coronavirus 🔵 Covid Classroom Cooking Families Core values Story ideas iPad Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles Archive
story.lead_photo.caption U.S. Rep. Marion Berry. ( Staton Breidenthal)

Democratic Rep. Marion Berry said Thursday that he will oppose health-care legislation without strict language restricting abortion funding even if it means derailing the year-long effort spearheaded by his own party.

This story is only available from the Arkansas Online archives. Stories can be purchased individually for $2.95. Click here to search for this story in the archives.

Front Section, Pages 1 on 03/05/2010

Print Headline: Berry sets up abortion test for health bill

• Spadata
    March 5, 2010 at 8:09 a.m.

Must be getting close to elections when the progressive liberals like Berry and Blanche suddenly shift conservative!

Announced last evening ... Soon to be mixed into this 'abortion' of a so-called health-bill is senator John F Kerry (D of course) pushing to allow homosexual blood donors into the nation's blood supply.

I suppose that is one way they can achieve their goal to reduce the population levels?

• Richard132
    March 5, 2010 at 8:23 a.m.

Well count Ross as a yes vote.

According to his DC office he has not changed his 'opinion on the bill as of 11:47 am Thursday' but when I pressed which 'opinion' that was because switch hitter Mike voted for the bill before he voted against it they would not say.

So he can claim he was against it while he is the reason it got out of committee.

His DC office offered nothing other than 'his opinion' has not changed. If anyone can find out which opinion Nancy Pelosi is allowing him to have let us know. Because she certainly told him which way he was allowed to vote on both the committee and on the floor vote.

• fryergary
    March 5, 2010 at 8:37 a.m.

isn't Ross a pharmacist? of course he thinks it's bad..big pharm, and insurance, is the $$ against HC reform, and all the lies...do it now.

• LevitiCuss
    March 5, 2010 at 9:10 a.m.

The StupID Amendment bars any federal funds to any company that offers any abortion coverage. So that would force private companies that want to participate to drop their abortion coverage even in plans that aren't part of the program. In effect, it will create a de facto ban on abortions. So much for limiting government control and increasing freedom of choice in healthcare. I still don't understand why a bunch of old, crusty white guys are making decisions regarding womens' reproductive rights. Let the women decide. One vagina, one vote. No vagina, no vote. Because no man will ever have to bear the brunt of this proposed legislation.

• storeylh_hotmail.com
    March 5, 2010 at 9:22 a.m.

Young, crusty women make decisions daily regarding their reproductive rights; sometimes in contraversion to God's law and their own better interests. Hopefully they will gain insight and experience as to how to make wise choices. I believe Ross owned a pharmacy & may have tried to represent himself as a pharmacist, but he's not.

• OldSchoolDad
    March 5, 2010 at 9:29 a.m.

If a woman wants to ignore God's position and have an abortion, let her do it. HOWEVER, I do not want my tax dollars paying for it in any fashion. Marvin, you've missed the main point entirely. This isn't about vaginas; it's about God's moral law and the murder of the unborn, period.

• 80Redux
    March 5, 2010 at 10:06 a.m.

If abortion was excluded from the plan (I.e. our current law), then this would sail through the House.

Apparently the far left loves abortion more than they love universal healthcare.

• 80Redux
    March 5, 2010 at 10:07 a.m.

BTW Marv - I get a vote on how my money is spent whether I have a vagina or not.

• WhyMe
    March 5, 2010 at 1:43 p.m.

Spadata: Is it possible that you really believe that homosexual blood donors are not currently contributing to the blood supply? Consider if you will that one of the prime sources of blood, are through contracts with the prison system, includes Arkansas prisons to the best of my knowledge.
    Next time you need blood tell them to wait till you can get your close friends gathered.
    I've enjoyed a number of transfusions, and I concern myself more with the processors than the donors

• johnwmcmaster
    March 5, 2010 at 2:21 p.m.

I keep hearing that the Insurance co. are the blame for the high cost of health care. Could someone explain to me why the insurance co would want health care cost to be high. I carried BCBS for about 13 years, paid about $225.00 a month or a total of $35,100. BCBS paid out over one million dollars on my family. If they are paying the bills to the providers I would think that they would want the cost to be as low as they could get it. The providers are making good money and thats OK. I had rather pay them or my insurance co than some lawyer waiting along side the road for someone to get hurt. There is a lot I don't know about this health care mess but I sure don't understand blaming the one that pays the bills...