Today's Paper Latest stories Obits Rex Nelson Wally Hall Brummett online Traffic Newsletters Weather Puzzles
story.lead_photo.caption Pakistani police officers gather beside an armored vehicle near the site of rocket attack by militants in Peshawar, Pakistan on Saturday, Dec. 15, 2012. Militants fired three rockets at an airport in the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar on Saturday night, killing several people and wounding dozens, officials said. - Photo by Mohammad Sajjad / AP

— Pakistani security forces cornered the last members of a group of Taliban militants who staged a deadly raid on an airport in the country's troubled northwest, and all five died in the ensuing firefight Sunday, officials said.

Three were shot by the security forces and two others blew themselves up in the nearby village where they had holed up, the officials said. Another five of the militants who attacked the military side of the international airport in Peshawar city on Saturday night with rockets and car bombs were killed during the assault. Four civilians also died and over 40 people were wounded in the initial attack, and a policeman was killed in the final gun battle.

Peshawar is on the edge of Pakistan's tribal region, the main sanctuary for al-Qaida and Taliban militants in the country. The city has frequently been attacked in the past few years, but Saturday was the first strike against the airport, which is jointly used by the air force and civilian authorities.

The airport is the third major military base attacked by the Taliban in roughly the past 18 months, a sign of the militant group's continued strength despite multiple army offensives targeting their tribal sanctuary.

The militants killed Sunday were hiding in an unfinished house in Pawaka village, located about 1.5 miles from the airport, said Maj. Gen. Asim Saleem Bajwa, the chief military spokesman.

Three of the militants were shot by security forces during a gun battle that lasted at least three hours, said Bajwa. The two other militants detonated their suicide vests when troops broke down the house's gate with an armored vehicle, he said.

All five militants appeared to be Uzbeks, said Bajwa. The Taliban have been known to cooperate with militants from Uzbekistan in the past. It's unclear whether the five militants killed Saturday night were locals or foreigners.

One policeman was killed and another wounded in the firefight in the village, said Mian Iftikhar Hussain, information minister for the surrounding Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.

The 10 Taliban militants began their attack on the airport Saturday at about 8:30 p.m. by firing rockets at the wall that surrounds the installation and then detonating two car bombs and an anti-tank mine to try to break through, said the military. The militants, some of whom were wearing suicide vests, were also armed with rocket-propelled grenades, hand grenades, automatic weapons and bags of explosives.

None of the militants were able to enter the airport, said the military. No air force equipment was damaged and no personnel were injured, officials said.

The civilians who were killed and wounded during the attack were from neighborhoods located next to the airport, said local hospital official Umar Ayub. It's unclear if the casualties were caused by the rockets and bombs used by the militants, or if the civilians were caught in the crossfire when security forces responded to the attack.

Sponsor Content


You must be signed in to post comments