Today's Paper Search Latest stories Legislature Newsletters #SaveArkansasLife Most commented Obits Traffic Weather Puzzles + Games
story.lead_photo.caption Pam Hicks talks to media outside the Crittenden County Courthouse on Friday, June 22, 2012 in Marion, Ark. Hicks is suing the city of West Memphis and the West Memphis police department, demanding to see the belongings her son, Steve Branch, had with him the day he was killed 19 years ago. Branch is one of three Arkansas Cub Scouts brutally murdered 19 years ago. Also pictured is law student Danny Owens. (AP Photo/Adrian Sainz)

— A judge says he plans to rule next week on whether to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the mother of one of three Cub Scouts killed in northeast Arkansas in 1993.

Pam Hicks filed a civil lawsuit in June in hopes of viewing evidence in the slaying of her son, 8-year-old Stevie Branch, and his friends, Michael Moore and Christopher Byers.

Hicks argues that police and prosecutors are violating Arkansas’ Freedom of Information Act by not allowing her to examine items from the case that include her son’s bicycle and clothes.

David Peeples, attorney for the city of West Memphis, argued that the physical evidence Hicks wants to see is not covered by the state’s FOIA law and asked Circuit Court Judge Victor Hill on Wednesday to dismiss the lawsuit.

Comments

• Redlab
    October 24, 2012 at 2:30 p.m.

I was an employee of the medical examiner's office when these murders happened. My opinions of the WM3 being guilty are not based on hype and singers who came out in favor of freeing the WM3, it is based on what I saw and evidence. I will not say anymore because it is not my place. Hmmm....so to all you people who think I don't know what I am saying, I really know what I am saying.

• Redlab
    October 24, 2012 at 2:37 p.m.

RBBrittain, Reread what I stated about FOIA, when I worked for the Medical Examiner's Office in the 90's, the autopsies were exempt from FOIA. And if you read and comprehended my original comment, you would see that I stated if that has changed because I do not know. So I covered both bases and explained that but then certain people like you just love to say you are wrong. Believe me, I know what the laws were back then concerning autopsies and requests, I dealt with it 5 days a week. Think before you assume or tell someone they are wrong and comprehend what was originally written. Other states where I worked in the Medical Examiner's Offices still are exempt from FOIA and that is how it should be on all autopsies, next of kin fine but anything else no.

• HawgFan
    October 24, 2012 at 3:11 p.m.

Thanks NoUserName... Agreeing to disagree is a lost art these days! :)

• RBBrittain
    October 24, 2012 at 3:28 p.m.

Redlab, NOWHERE in this article does it say she's asking for the autopsy report or anything held at the Crime Lab -- just evidence held by WMPD. (Autopsy reports DO get released to the public; I read the one in the Jonesboro case, and I agree the kid shot himself.) And I betcha you saw ONLY the evidence WMPD wanted you to see.

• Redlab
    October 24, 2012 at 4:38 p.m.

RBBrittain, You have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. The evidence in cases is sent to the Arkansas State Crime Lab and the Medical Examiner's Office is part of and a division the Arkansas State Crime Lab where it is tested. Yes the autopsy reports on these boys was released but in most cases you cannot get the homicide autopsy reports except through the prosecuting attorneys. Most homicide autopsies are not on the internet. I was surprised when I saw that these autopsy reports were on the internet. WMPD sent all the evidence to the crime lab. No matter what anyone says you always have something negative to say to everyone. I am just telling you how things were when I was employed with the Medical Examiner's Office/Arkansas State Crime Lab. I am so done with you, this is not the first time going back and forth with you. Give it up and comprehend what I am writing because you never comprehend what anyone says on here and yes this is my observation on other articles you have commented on and like I said, you have done this with me in the past and I am so done with you. Unless you have worked in the Arkansas State Crime Lab or the Medical Examiner's Office, you have no idea, you are just a part of the public. End of story!

• Redlab
    October 24, 2012 at 4:44 p.m.

RBBRittain, I forgot to add this, local law enforcement sends evidence to the Arkansas State Crime Lab to be tested because they don't have the facilities to test the evidence and especially in 1993 and evidence can be returned to local law enforcement.