Today's Paper Latest stories Obits 10 things to do this weekend The TV Column Newsletters Wally Hall Weather Puzzles/games
story.lead_photo.caption One person is dead and one is in critical condition following a shooting Thursday night at Park Plaza Mall in Little Rock. - Photo by Lee Hogan

Two men have been arrested after Thursday night's shooting at Little Rock's Park Plaza Mall that left a man dead and a woman in critical condition, police said.

Deonte Edison, 18, who lives at 1 Renee Cove in Little Rock, was booked into the Pulaski County jail early this morning on charges of capital murder and attempted capital murder. Tristan Bryant, 20, of 2708 Center St., was being held on the same charges.

The men were arrested 11:30 p.m. Thursday at 2511 Bishop St., according to Little Rock police Sgt. Cassandra Davis.

Police believe Edison had at some point worked at the Sbarro restaurant in the mall food court where the victims worked.

Photo by Pulaski County sheriff's office
Deonte Edison.
Photo by Pulaski County sheriff's office
Tristan Bryant.
Photo by Google Maps
This map shows the location of Park Plaza Mall in midtown Little Rock.

Davis said Thursday night that police received a report of a shooting inside the mall about 9:41 p.m. Upon arrival, Davis said, officers found two victims in a hallway near the food court.

One of the victims, Christian Hayes, 25, died at the scene. Jashonta Thomas, 18, who received several gunshot wounds, was taken to St. Vincent Infirmary Medical Center, where she was listed in critical condition.

Both victims were working for Sbarro.

Police believe that Edison and Bryant entered the building, which was closed to the public, through a hallway connecting to multiple food establishments. Davis said that money was demanded from the victims before they were shot.

Police did not know how much money was taken.

Information for this article was contributed by Aziza Musa of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

Comments

• tppt2aolcom
    March 1, 2013 at 10:40 p.m.

I'm going to be back in the city in a few weeks for a visit. Do I need to come heavily armed? It sounds as if LR has turned back to what it was in the late 80s and early 90s. Of course these two bottom feeders will be allowed to live at state expense for some period of time while a productive hard-working young man has been killed and a young lady with a work ethic is in bad shape. Fry Deonte and Tristan now.

• Humanist
    March 2, 2013 at 2:10 a.m.

Post

• Humanist
    March 2, 2013 at 2:12 a.m.

Hi everyone,
    I've read all the comments and I have quite a bit to say. First I'd like to give you my background history. I was raised in gang infested hood in california from age 7 to 17 and am now 28. My outlook on life was completely different during those times. I fought at least twice a week and sometimes I would get a break. My peers only talked about getting high, jumping someone, ditching square bear school, and comin up (fast money). Culture is a reaction to environment, and the values of my environment were destructive.
    At 17 my parents moved me to rohnert park, Ca which is what I call "leave it to Beaver land." The monkey was off my back and my parent's made this move because they wanted a safer environment. The cultural difference took sometime to get use too. The Kids would say something negitive and it would only be a "joke." The kids were doing drugs, but the conversations where about college apps, schools, where they see themselves, and the convo's were aspired and promoted from an nuturing environment. I felt at eased and was very happy to live there!
    Later on I went to college, and was traveling to gain insight on other cultures. I can say that my black communities here in little rock are lost. Lost like I was in my younger days.
    My transformation starts with my cross country drive to Atlanta when I was 20. I arrived and was immediately in confrontation with my own black people and was completely confused. I grew up in a Hispanics hood so I didn't have the same values. Everyone was calling each other "nigga and bitches" and there was a separatism of light vs dark, Which I thought was crazy seeing that no one can be the same color. I move to a nation of islam neighborhood and was educated about slavery and how the African dessends were not only stripped of pride but African heritage & culture. Instead our culture became house nigga and field nigga, dived and conquer so to say. I learned a lot of I am as a black man and that I should not be a product of slavery. But Just clear things up I'm not radical, I'm not a Muslim, I don't blame Caucasians, and I'm not part of any group. I'm humanist and like people of all kinds. To get back to the story. I left atl then traveled up little rock to visit family. I faced the same problems. I decided to go back to Cali. I went to school and traveled more, read a lot, and talk to all walks of life.
    I went from being a knuckle head young punk to an educated young man. I participated in youth groups and started a youth groups where I was from.

• Humanist
    March 2, 2013 at 2:15 a.m.

I used real people from the hood who changed their lives for the better and not some snob with opinion. I'm in little rock til summer time and then I'm leaving. I would love to help while I'm hear and reach a view souls. I helped many and I understand what and where they are coming from. Feel free to email me

• Populist
    March 2, 2013 at 7:09 a.m.

Humanist,

Thank you for an inspiring story. You should volunteer to speak at local schools.

Redwings and No User Name,

Of course. It is all about affluence and education. The black kids in Montgomery County are taking AP classes, and nobody wears baggy pants. Nobody is angry because the schools are great and the community recreation programs are fantastic. Contrast this with D.C., Baltimore, and Little Rock, where you have drug infested areas, gangs, and guns. The question is how do you turn a city around? I believe that it is neighborhood by neighborhood and school by school. Hopefully, the Little Rock School District will get a great new leader and the community will support that person. (A couple of the resumes look pretty good.) Little Rock needs expansion of recreational centers and tutoring programs. The schools and the police need to work together to crack down on drugs. Some people in Little Rock have big money. The mayor and the governor need to appoint a few citizens to spearhead a fundraising campaign. School guidance counselors need to expand services. The list goes on and on.

• XAV8OR
    March 2, 2013 at 7:43 a.m.

I was surprised to learn we now have 51 states.

• Populist
    March 2, 2013 at 8:04 a.m.

Xav8or,

D.C. is counted as a district.

Harley,

Crime prevention efforts. The police can be much more proactive. You cannot tell me that people at Hall High did not know that Deonte was using or was otherwise bad news. My oldest son goes to one of the top public high schools in America, but five kids have been arrested for drugs there this year. The cops need to be driving through the drug neighborhoods and arresting people. Either the number of police is insufficient or you have a problem inside the police force with corruption. They are quick at catching somebody after they have murdered somebody, but they are not doing a good job at catching them and preventing them from reaching that point. I'd be interested to know whether the number of police is sufficient. If New York can institute measures to decrease its crime, then why can't Little Rock? P.S. New York has better handgun sales controls than Little Rock.

• RaylanGivens
    March 2, 2013 at 8:21 a.m.

Pulaski County can improve a lot but it will never be Montgomery County

• Populist
    March 2, 2013 at 9:02 a.m.

RedWings,

While Montgomery County may have lots of big houses and fine schools, I find the Easterners a little snobby, materialistic, and they complain about everything!

Nevertheless, Little Rock can decrease its crime rate and improve its schools. If action is not taken soon, the property values are going to plummet. While I don't like the high Montgomery County taxes, you get it back in the appreciation of your property values. Property values and quality of schools are closely tied together. Property owners always should support their neighborhood schools.

• RaylanGivens
    March 2, 2013 at 9:40 a.m.

Pop I live in WLR and the pretentious people are annoying here too but I've got great neighbors for the most part.