Today's Paper Search Latest Core values App Traffic map In the news #Gazette200 Listen Digital FAQ Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles/Games Archive
story.lead_photo.caption Little Rock police detective J.C. White removes crime scene tape after investigating an armed robbery at Roberson’s Fine Jewelry in the Pleasant Ridge Town Center on Tuesday afternoon. - Photo by Benjamin Krain

Four men, two of them armed, robbed a west Little Rock jewelry store Tuesday morning before fleeing in a stolen pickup driven by a fifth man, police said.

More headlines
Photo by Special to the Democrat-Gazette
Surveillance video from the scene of an armed robbery Tuesday at Roberson’s Fine Jewelry in Little Rock shows four of the robbers in the store.

The men entered Roberson's Fine Jewelry, 11525 Cantrell Road, at the Pleasant Ridge Town Center at 11:48 a.m. Officer Richard Hilgeman, spokesman for Little Rock police, said two of the men had guns and the other two smashed the glass on the jewelry display cases with a hammer and stole an undisclosed amount of jewelry.

The men then left in a tan Chevrolet pickup that had been stolen earlier in the day, police said. The pickup was abandoned at Fairview Road Church of Christ, behind the shopping center. Police said the men are believed to have run from the truck to a black vehicle, the make and model of which is unknown.

No one was hurt during the robbery and Hilgeman said he didn't know how many people were inside the store when the men entered Tuesday morning.

Security cameras captured footage of the robbery and police released photos of the men Tuesday afternoon. All were wearing gloves and had their faces covered except for the getaway driver, who is described as an older black man with a very slender build and a thin gray beard, police said.

Police said the first gunman was wearing black shorts with red trim, a dark long-sleeve shirt and a two-tone beach-style hat, and was armed with a black revolver.

The second gunman was tall and slender, and was wearing a camouflage jacket, a white and red Chicago Bulls cap and jeans. He was armed with a chrome semi-automatic pistol.

The two men who smashed the glass on the jewelry display cases were wearing dark clothing, police said. One of the men had a White Sox cap on and the other had a blue cap with white writing on it.

A woman who answered the phone at Roberson's Fine Jewelry Tuesday afternoon said the store had no comment. A status on the store's Facebook page said, "Today at 11:45 Roberson's Fine Jewelry was robbed. We are so thankful that everyone is OK. Thanks to everyone that is reaching out to us. All [patrons'] merchandise is secured. We will reopen tomorrow at 10 a.m."

Police had not made any arrests Tuesday evening.

Metro on 09/23/2015

Print Headline: 4 rob west LR jewelry store

• RobertBolt
    September 23, 2015 at 10:44 a.m.

More robbers exercise their Second Amendment rights.

• Packman
    September 23, 2015 at 11:13 a.m.

Hey Boltar - Seriously? You blame the 2nd Amendment for criminal behavior? Do you also blame spoons and forks for obesity? SMH at the idiotic liberal mindset.

• RobertBolt
    September 23, 2015 at 3:04 p.m.

I blame no words for a crime. I merely point out these robbers were exercising their Second Amendment rights to have their guns. That is a conservative position, not a liberal one.

• LR1955
    September 23, 2015 at 3:50 p.m.

So Noltar (minus nutsar), I suppose the Liberal position would be no one has guns, white/black/tan robbers come in and say they are short on funds and the store owner just hands over some diamonds and pearls. No Problem.

• RobertBolt
    September 23, 2015 at 3:56 p.m.

• tngilmer
    September 23, 2015 at 4:08 p.m.

In comparison to other southern states, Arkansas has a small black population but if you read the news you would think that Arkansas is Detroit or Chicago. Almost all the violent crime is by blacks.

• Packman
    September 23, 2015 at 4:58 p.m.

Hey Boltar - You said it, you own it. Stop back-peddling. You didn't point out anything about legally exercising a constitutional right. It's one thing to have a gun. It's something entirely different to use it in a criminal manner. It is NOT a conservative position to commit a crime. In ignoring the crime you did in fact defend it. You simply parroted nonsensical liberal illogic. That, my friend, is strictly a liberal mindset.
    Care to continue, Boltar?

• LR1955
    September 23, 2015 at 5:03 p.m.

Boltar, I'm saying there are plenty of Dems/Libs that believe in the 2nd amendment... it's not just a conservative thing. I promise. I know plenty of outspoken Lib/Dems that have CCLs and carry everyday, they just don't tell their brethern.

• Murphy01
    September 23, 2015 at 5:22 p.m.

Bolt, if any of them are convicted felons then they have no right to be in possession of a firearm. How about we let the facts come out first. Your initial statement is reckless and irresponsible, but expected and typical considering the source

• RobertBolt
    September 23, 2015 at 6:05 p.m.

Instead of defending the words others falsely attribute to me, I will defend the statements I made. They are as follows: "More robbers exercise their Second Amendment rights," "I blame no words for a crime. I merely point out these robbers were exercising their Second Amendment rights to have their guns. That is a conservative position, not a liberal one," and "LR1995, I leave you to defend your own nonsense about liberals. I merely stated a conservative position in support of open carry and the Second Amendment. I did not defend the crime itself. Do you disagree with my statement?"

Packman, I generally make it a practice not to reply directly to your habitual nonsense, but I will briefly waive that rule now. I did not backpedal. You merely drew conclusions unsupported by my conservative comment and then accused me of backpedaling when I did not embrace your false inferences and unsupported conclusions. I made no statements in support of a crime, and my initial characterization of them as robbers certainly was not complimentary. According to your argument, your initial failure to explicitly criticize the robbers any more directly than I did indicates your support for them. We have no indication these people have ever been convicted of a prior crime, so a Conservative approach to the Second Amendment with limited background checks assumes they have a right to carry.

LR1955, I have no disagreement with you. I am focusing on Conservative mania for guns. We liberals generally have a more balanced view.

Murphy01, you present no evidence of a prior conviction, so the Constitutional presumption of innocense is that they were innocent. Therefore, your points about gun possession by felons are presently moot. If these people prove to have no prior conviction, then is it the Conservative position that these people should have had their guns until they actually started the crime? How would you know when that was so you could take them away before the crime happened, or would you not want to do that?

Hopefully more Conservatives will join me in supporting much stronger efforts to keep inappropriate people from possessing guns before they actually commit horrific misdeeds.