Today's Paper Search Latest Core values App Traffic map In the news #Gazette200 Listen Digital FAQ Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles/Games Archive

Two people were killed, including a newscaster for an Arkansas radio network, in a fiery, wrong-way collision on the Interstate 430 bridge over the Arkansas River early Wednesday morning, police said.

An Arkansas State Police report released shortly after the 3:49 a.m. crash did not name the woman who it said was driving a Buick north on the southbound lanes of the highway.

A 60-year-old Maumelle man, identified as Gary DiGiuseppe, was driving south when his Ford was struck head-on by the Buick, which then caught fire, the report said.

Both DiGiuseppe and the unnamed woman were killed, according to the report, which did not list any additional injuries.

State police described conditions at the time of the wreck as clear and dry.

The deaths brought to 205 the number of people killed in crashes on Arkansas roads so far this year, according to preliminary figures.

DiGiuseppe was a journalist with decades of experience who had previously worked in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette newsroom.

His current employer, radio station KARN and the Arkansas Radio Network, released a statement that said DiGiuseppe was on his way to the office, where he worked as a newscaster for "First News with Kevin Miller," when he was killed.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Gary DiGiuseppe's wife, Mary, and the rest of his family as we all face the realization of the shocking loss of our co-worker," KARN News Director Bob Steel said in the statement.

In February, the Arkansas highway department announced plans to spend $2.8 million for improvements aimed at reducing the number of crashed caused by wrong-way drivers on state highways.

Read Thursday's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for full details.

Gary Digiuseppe

• CAlexander
    June 1, 2016 at 2:27 p.m.

Prayers for the family.

• DontDrinkDatKoolAid
    June 1, 2016 at 2:28 p.m.

Two point eight to late.

• TheGoodGuy
    June 1, 2016 at 2:48 p.m.

Stupid bitch in the Buick was probably ancient anyway and had no business driving. His wife should sue the living hell out of her estate!

• LR1955
    June 1, 2016 at 3:36 p.m.

Tragic ! I'm 60 and I hate seeing another of my peers biting the dust prematurely.

State police described conditions at the time of the wreck as clear and dry. (AND VERY DARK)

• MaxCady
    June 1, 2016 at 3:48 p.m.

I don't know about you, but if I see someone coming at me the wrong way, I'm getting out of the way.

• Jfish
    June 1, 2016 at 3:54 p.m.

Great thinking emax, what do you propose to do on the I-430 bridge, drive over the concrete barrier and land in the river?

• FoxFifty
    June 1, 2016 at 4:17 p.m.

emax and Jfish try to find an ounce of sympathy. emax unless you were there you simply do not know what attempts may have been made to do that very thing. Jfish, he only had 2 other lanes to choose from. If it occurred at the crest of the bridge the reaction time may have been nil. You two are heartless!

• NoUserName
    June 1, 2016 at 5:51 p.m.

I'd stop completely if I had nowhere else to go. And that's assuming the other had even had lights on. As for sympathy, that doesn't preclude one from being able to make comments. Even if, to YOU, they seem heartless.

• scross58
    June 1, 2016 at 9:48 p.m.

I am now not going to hear his voice and his distinctive name on the morning news any longer because someone was going the wrong way on 430. That had to be at least a 100 mph impact which most car safety devices aren't designed for. Knowing the Cantrell Rd/ I430 interchange she had to be really out of her senses to do something like this. Maybe the public will get the real story in a follow up. Don't think there will be one though.

• Jfish
    June 1, 2016 at 10:10 p.m.

FF, why don't you go back and try to read between the lines. I was not being heartless, I was only pointing out the ridiculous advice that emax offered for this tragedy. When someone is coming at you on a bridge, you cannot just simply move out of the way.