Today's Paper Search Latest Core values App Traffic map In the news Listen #Gazette200 Digital FAQ Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles/Games Archive

A KARK reporter shared on social media an email from a viewer who called him a disgrace to Arkansas and said he should be taken off the air.

Just before 1 p.m. Monday, Mitchell McCoy tweeted a picture of an email in which the author wrote: "I have been holding back for months, but I can't stand your gayness. ... Do not be offended, but society is not ready for gay men reading news."

In a comment on Twitter, McCoy said: "I get many emails, but this tops it. I've dreamt of being a reporter since I was nine, and I won't stop on your behalf."

"As public figures, our journalists often receive messages from viewers — some good, some bad," KARK news director Austin Kellerman said in an email. "It's part of our profession. Mitch is a great journalist, and we're happy to have him on our team."

In a later post, McCoy encouraged people to follow their dreams.

"The minute you stop is the minute you stop being who you are," he said. "It's not worth it."

The hashtags #DreamOn and #StepUpStopBullying were included in the message.

A phone call to McCoy was not immediately returned.

• 3WorldState1
    May 23, 2016 at 4:02 p.m.

Trump 2016!

• PopMom
    May 23, 2016 at 4:53 p.m.

The viewer is an idiot. I guess he missed that the new Secretary of the Army is gay. Gay people are everywhere doing everything! Some of the greatest artists and inventors have been gay. I love gay people!

• PopMom
    May 23, 2016 at 4:54 p.m.

P.S. Anderson Cooper is one of the best journalists in the world. I think a gay guy can read the news at an Arkansas station.

• ARMNAR
    May 23, 2016 at 5:01 p.m.

3WS nailed it. No doubt the ignoramus viewer is a diehard Trump fan.

• BpLrAr
    May 23, 2016 at 5:14 p.m.

The homophobe needs to watch Fox News (even though it not really a news show).

• RBBrittain
    May 23, 2016 at 5:59 p.m.

I wonder if this is the idiot who complained to KARK last year about the NBC peacock going rainbow colors for gay rights (it's always been rainbow colors since it was first created in 1955 to sell color TV).

• mrcharles
    May 23, 2016 at 6:30 p.m.

just think , this viewer shares DNA with chimpanzees! . In fact I saw it at the zoo throwing his you know what at people.

I guess it was the inner cowardice of the culo whole who wrote the email to not sign it's name. I feel sorry for the children to have a parent like this. But he probably is the head of some county gop committee.

Yes u R probably a disgrace to Arkansas, Mitch, I have to admit, intelligence is rare in these parts............. We hear proudle half stantards to folllow with our elected legislaytors and gubanor and hour worstship of our bibble , witch me and my cousin ant his wife who is my cousin 2, hardwarely ever learn from oar read writtin n's it . We's knot redee fore nuse readin,.
    . Suckseralee,

a loyal cark channel 4 fan or Nome to it's friends as Herr culo whole !

• Morebeer
    May 23, 2016 at 7:08 p.m.

The McCoy dummy needs to keep his homophobic rants to anonymous comment boards like this one. Sunshine tends to promote political correctness in racists, bigots and homophobes.

• NoCrossNoCrown
    May 23, 2016 at 7:10 p.m.

He's more than likely in the closet himself and this is his diversion for his church members who already think that he is... Watch the little kids around him.
    The news should be the news regardless of who is doing the reading or listening
    I did say, "SHOULD BE"!

• RaylanGivens
    May 23, 2016 at 8:13 p.m.

Why is Alec Baldwin commenting about reporters in Arkansas? I thought he kept his homophobic comments in NY