A ramen place -- in fact, That Ramen Place -- is headed for 5711 Kavanaugh Blvd. in Little Rock's Pulaski Heights, in a storefront that housed Sweet Candy & Gifts. We lack details, but we've seen an application for a building permit, $50,000, for interior alteration that includes an exhaust hood, duct and fan and work on two restrooms.
We're still trying to figure out by deadline if Alibi, a new speakeasy the address of which is listed on Facebook as 300 River Market Ave., Suite 1, Little Rock, has actually replaced Live Life Chill or just what's going on. Hours are 3-11 p.m.Tuesday-Wednesday, 3 p.m.-midnight Thursday-Saturday. The phone number is (501) 916-9317.
Nexus Nook has opened on the first floor of the Central Arkansas Library System Main Library, 100 Rock St., Little Rock, a partnership with Nexus Coffee & Creative, offering coffee, espresso drinks and teas along with some bakery items. There's a seating area with electrical outlets for charging mobile devices (free Wi-Fi is available throughout the library) and displays of library materials. Hours are 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 1-4 p.m. Sunday. The library is pitching it as "a comfortable gathering place for your club, business or writers' group" and expect "local events, creative workshops and educational seminars" to take place there. "Nexus will also be able to provide catering for meetings and parties at the library." Call them at (501) 295-7515 or email firstname.lastname@example.org; expect the menu to eventually show up on the library website, cals.org.
The Sunny Side Up Cafe is now open and offering country breakfast at 14306 Arkansas 107, Sherwood. Expect, we're told, a Puerto Rican lunch menu to surface sometime in March or April. Hours are 6:30-11 a.m. Tuesday-Sunday. The phone number is (501) 833-0496.
A Steak 'n Shake has opened at 2205 Dave Ward Drive in Conway. Initial hours are 10 a.m.- 10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday with eventual plans to go to 24/7, with a breakfast menu, after a few months. The phone number is (501) 499-8582.
Galveston, Texas-based Clean Plate Restaurants has bought Marketplace Grill, with locations in Springdale and Conway, with the agency of Springdale-based Confidential Business Intermediaries. No word yet on what changes that may bring.
We're bating our breath for the opening of the Dairy Queen at 2014 Arkansas 5 North, Benton in Saline County. As has been their custom, franchisee You Scream Holdings, LLC, is playing coy, suggesting folks text DQSALINE to 25827 "for the Grand Opening date AND a FREE treat." Visit their Facebook page, facebook.com/dq45188, or the website, dqarkansas.com.
And Little Rock's last remaining Denny's, 310 S. Shackleford Road, Little Rock, which had been briefly closed for renovations -- a sign on the door told patrons "Remodel in progress" -- reopened Tuesday, and is serving 24/7/365 -- including Christmas. The phone number is (501) 224-8264.
And speaking of Christmas, here's our limited list of restaurants that have informed us if and when they'll open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The information comes from restaurateurs, is not intended to endorse any institution or be in any way comprehensive, and we've listed them more or less in the order we received them. We haven't seen anything yet from the big hotels that usually offer Christmas brunch buffets; other restaurants, particularly Asian restaurants, could be open. Reservations are almost always a good idea and we've supplied phone numbers where they're available.
• Arthur's Prime Steakhouse and Ocean's at Arthur's, 16100 Chenal Parkway, Little Rock, Christmas Day brunch buffet, 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., $29.50. (501) 821-1828, (501) 821-1838
• Chi's Chinese Cuisine, 17200 Chenal Parkway, open normal hours (11 a.m.-9 p.m.) Christmas Eve and will be serving dim sum and a limited menu 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on Christmas Day. (501) 821-8000
• Chi's Asian Cafe, 3421 Old Cantrell Road, Little Rock, open normal hours (11 a.m.-9 p.m.) Christmas Eve. (501) 916-9973
• Sushi Cafe, 5823 Kavanaugh Blvd, Little Rock, normal hours (11 a.m.-2 p.m., 5-9:30 p.m.) Christmas Eve. (501) 663-9888
• Sushi Cafe West, 11211 Cantrell Road, Little Rock, normal hours (11 a.m.--2 p.m., 5-9:30 p.m.) Christmas Eve. (501) 954-7866
• Prospect Bar & Grill, 5501 Kavanaugh Blvd. Little Rock, normal hours (3-11 p.m.) Christmas Eve. (501) 603-0080
• Lulu's Crab Boil, 5911 R St., Little Rock, normal hours (11 a.m.-3 p.m., 5-9 p.m.) Christmas Eve. (501) 663-2388
• La Madeleine, 12210 W. Markham St., Little Rock, 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m., Christmas Eve. (501) 221-7777
• Forbidden Garden, 14810 Cantrell Road, Little Rock, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. (501) 868-8149
And our friends at Offers.com have once again rounded up a list of chains with outlets open Christmas Eve and Day -- no guarantee, however, that any particular outlet will be serving, so it'd be a good idea to check hours and/or make reservations.
• Some Dunkin' locations will be open Christmas Day, but many will be closing early (generally 1 p.m.). Many locations will also be closing early on Christmas Eve, as well.
• Many IHOP locations, especially the ones open 24 hours, but hours could vary by location. Check out this year's seasonal Grinch menu.
• McDonald's: Hours (and whether they're open at all) vary widely by franchise, so call ahead and expect hours to be reduced for locations that are open. (Locations inside Walmarts will definitely be closed, as Walmart is closed on Christmas.)
• Starbucks: some locations stay open for limited hours on Christmas. (Skip the locations inside Target and other retail outlets that are closed Christmas Day.)
• Waffle House. Open 24/7/365, including Christmas.
Has a restaurant opened -- or closed -- near you in the last week or so? Does your favorite eatery have a new menu? Is there a new chef in charge? Drop us a line. Call (501) 399-3667 or (501) 378-3513, or send a note to Restaurants, Weekend Section, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, P.O. Box 2221, Little Rock, Ark. 72203. Send email to:
Weekend on 12/20/2018
Print Headline: Restaurant Transitions: That Ramen Place coming to Kavanaugh; Nexus Nook now open; restaurants open on Christmas