Today's Paper Latest stories Drivetime Mahatma HS football scores/recaps Obits Weather Newsletters Puzzles/games

SACO, Maine — A black man who was told not to return to a Maine grocery store when he questioned whether he and his wife were being treated unfairly due to race has received an apology by the store.

Rory Ferreira tells the Portland Press Herald a clerk told him that both he and his wife needed to present identification to buy alcohol at a Shaw's store in Saco. Twenty-six-year-old Ferreira asked to speak to a manager.

Ferreira said he met with company executives, who apologized. The company says it is investigating.

Comments

• tngilmer
    June 22, 2018 at 12:09 p.m.

I think he just felt, because he was black, that the rules did not apply to him. You see that a lot these days.

• ARMNAR
    June 22, 2018 at 12:40 p.m.

tngilmer, maybe you can catch a ride to the White Rights rally in DC with your fellow Klansmen GeneralMac and HM2.

• MaxCady
    June 22, 2018 at 1:18 p.m.

I got carded at a restaurant the other day and I'm waaaay past 21. I thought it was funny, but the waitress just said it was policy. No big deal.

• LRDawg
    June 22, 2018 at 1:49 p.m.

The guy must have been treated unfairly....if not, the CEO's wouldn't have apologized

• Packman
    June 22, 2018 at 2:50 p.m.

Hey LRDawg - Nah, you're wrong. Spinless individuals bowing to the God of political correctness do these things to avoid biased media attacks (recall the lie of "Hands Up Don't Shoot" and the media attacks thereof). Most likely the guy didn't have an ID, perhaps because he's a criminal, and wanted to bully people by playing the race card.
    Hey tngilmer - I know this is anecdotal but the past few weeks I've been doing an informal poll of people parked in handicapped spots without a handicapped tag or hang tag. Thus far I've noted 18 vehicles, 16 driven by a black person. It's only anecdotal, but you may be on to something.

• Razrbak
    June 22, 2018 at 3:11 p.m.

Read the article and you might not look so foolish.. "He told the manager he wanted to ensure he was treated the same as everyone else. The manager told him it was policy. Ferreira said the manager then refused to finish the transaction and had police issue him a no-trespass order." The black man wanted to make sure he was treated the same as anyone else, the store manager said it was policy and then called the police and had a no trespass warning given. Guess that happens to a white man when he questions being carded too. Bottom line is Corporate Execs think what happened is wrong. Hope that manager has to sell him booze in the future and say have a nice day.

• Jfish
    June 22, 2018 at 3:46 p.m.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that there is probably a lot more to the story from both sides rather than just a couple of hundred words released by the AP. Note, the manager was not quoted and the company has basically said nothing.

• BEARTRAP919
    June 22, 2018 at 3:54 p.m.

By the Grace of God and the Selection by my Father, I was Born White, And I have witnessed things like this many times, And it was Wrong here, and it was Wrong then, I did not speak up against it then, and that was wrong I think, I hope I have the Courage to speak up when I witness it again in the Future,