Today's Paper Search Latest stories Traffic #Gazette200 Listen Digital Replica FAQs Weather Newsletters Most commented Obits Puzzles + Games Archive
story.lead_photo.caption FILE — Union Pacific diesel locomotives are lined up in different stages of repair at Union Pacific Railroad's Jenks Shop heavy locomotive repair facility in North Little Rock in this Feb. 9, 2018 file photo. - Photo by Benjamin Krain

Union Pacific Corp. eliminated about 60 jobs in the Little Rock area Monday, the Omaha, Neb.-based railroad operator said.

The jobs were in Union Pacific's locomotive and car-repair facilities, said Kristen South, a spokesman for Union Pacific. The job losses are a continuation of Union Pacific's streamlining process under its Unified Plan 2020, South said.

In October, the railroad announced it would be reducing its workforce by about 675 jobs by the end of the year. Union Pacific said it would give notice to 475 employees in the fourth quarter and eliminate another 200 contract positions. The 675 positions are spread across the Union Pacific system.

The workforce reduction is an effort to reduce the company's general and administrative support structure, the company said.

Union Pacific had an average employee count of 42,300 in the third quarter and had about 2,500 employees in Arkansas.

-- David Smith

Comments

• Longhaul
    November 27, 2018 at 8:28 a.m.

Just wait and let "the Donald" make a call & everything will be ok just like he's going to take care of the GM workers. And if you believe that I've got some beach front property for sale in Arizona you might be interested in.

• itryed
    November 27, 2018 at 9:17 a.m.

"Buhleeeve me, I know soooooo much about railroads. I know more than all the engineers put together "...Orange Mound O' Pus

• hah406
    November 27, 2018 at 10:53 a.m.

Winning so much we are sick of winning.

• JiminyC56
    November 27, 2018 at 11:09 a.m.

So you retards are blaming this on President Trump?

• mrcharles
    November 27, 2018 at 11:49 a.m.

jimmy, Sara palin and the butt hurt gop would be sad and hurt by your use of retards.

Now jimyboob, you and your talking primates believe the DT is the good cause of everything that happens, so you retard, are you saying all that happens good is because of DT?

If you make DT like a deity that controls everything, dont be dogmatic and say your thoughtless thoughts the IT up there in D. C. is the cause of good but the bad is just a mystery... which saying a mystery is just saying WTF.

• GeneralMac
    November 27, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.

A rail road car shop opened in Waite Park MN IN 1891.

About 90 years later Burlington Northern closed the car shops and 600 workers lost their jobs ( some of the best jobs in the area )

No one blamed the President of the United States.

• GeneralMac
    November 27, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.

About 5 years ago BNSF started eliminating conductors on some trains.
    No one blamed the Muslim sympathising, race baiting Barack HUSSEIN Obama.

• JiminyC56
    November 27, 2018 at 12:06 p.m.

MRSCHARLES, I wish I could understand your satire or ebonics or whatever you are calling it today. I'll just continue to call it what it is.....diarrhea. I never said DT is responsible for all good and claimed he was a deity........that is coming from the mentally challenged individuals such as yourself.

• tweedyboy57
    November 27, 2018 at 12:22 p.m.

Two of my neighbors. Making over 60K a year. Laid OFF. Youd think with all that COAL the RRs are hauling they'd be HIRING! Not alot of Winning going on with Repubs in general. They dont solve $hit. Theyre kind of like Pelicans. Fly in - Crap all over and leave until they can dupe enough voters to get back in office. I dont disagree with some conservative thinking but I just dont see alot of SMART by folks who voted for Trump, just hate and resentment. My business has been hit with Tariffs and higher prices. Farmers were bailed out but my 401k just lost all I made in 2018. Wheres MINE?

• itryed
    November 27, 2018 at 12:24 p.m.

A the soybeans sit storing at record levels with no where to go, thanks to tariffs, GM laying off( Pusball says nobody wants to buy them...maybe they're not selling cause steel prices going through roof( Canadian " winning"),let's all rake the forest