Zsolt Eder, associate concertmaster of Symphony of Northwest Arkansas, and Miho Oda Sakon, the orchestra's principal second violin, solo in the Concerto for Two Violins in d minor by Johann Sebastian Bach with the orchestra and conductor Paul Haas, 7:30 p.m. Saturday in Baum Walker Hall at Fayetteville's Walton Arts Center, 495 W. Dickson St.
Also on the program: High Windows by Christopher Cerrone and the Symphony No. 2 by Ludwig van Beethoven. Sponsor is Greenwood Gearhart. Tickets are $32-$55. Call (479) 443-5600 or visit sonamusic.org.
Mardi Gras jazz
The Michael Bartlett Trio — Michael Bartlett, guitar; Brian Hamby, organ; and Micah Boswell, drums — plays a Mardi Gras jazz and bebop concert at 7 p.m. Tuesday, following a 6 p.m. Shrove Tuesday pancake supper, in the parish hall of St. Luke's Episcopal Church, 4106 John F. Kennedy Blvd., North Little Rock. It's part of the church's Festival of the Senses series.
Admission to the concert is free; admission to the pancake supper — including pancakes, bacon, sausage, all the fixings and a coffee bar — requires a ticket ($10, $5 for children 3-13, free for toddlers, $20 for the whole family) and a reservation. Call (501) 993-1883 or (501) 519-3725 or email email@example.com
Two Peters shows
Nashville, Tenn., singer/songwriter Gretchen Peters performs twice this week in Northwest Arkansas:
• 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, 801 Media Center at 5 Star Productions, 801 N. A St., Fort Smith, for AACLive! Tickets are $40; call (479) 719-8931 or visit AACLive.com.
• 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Fayetteville's Walton Arts Center, 495 W. Dickson St. The show is part of the center's West Street Live Series. Tickets are $30 to $50 plus fees. Call (479) 443-5600 or visit waltonartscenter.org.
"Collaborations and Conversations," showcasing creative collaborations of more than two dozen Fenix cooperative artists and guests "as a response to pertinent questions of our time," opens with a 5-8 p.m. reception Thursday at Fenix Fayetteville, 16 W. Center St., Fayetteville. Lela Besom and dancers from her Explorative Dance Workshop will perform "Winter Seeds Awakening" and singer-songwriter-luthier Bayard Blain will perform on instruments he has designed and built. The exhibit will remain up through April 27. Admission to the reception and gallery are free. Visit fenixfayettevilleart.com.
Writer, director and producer Morgan Dameron, who has worked on Hollywood blockbusters including Star Trek: Into Darkness and Star Wars: The Force Awakens, will discuss scripts, pre-production, casting, cinematography, special effects, distribution and other aspects of filmmaking in a talk titled "Hollywood Behind the Scenes: The Making of a Movie," 7 p.m. Thursday in the Rogers Conference Center, University of the Ozarks, 415 N. College Ave., Clarksville. A question-and-answer session will follow. It's part of the university's Walton Arts & Ideas Series and admission is free. Call (479) 979-1433.
Dameron served as the personal assistant to Star Wars: The Force Awakens director/producer J.J. Abrams, and had a credited cameo appearance in the movie (as resistance officer Commodore Meta). Abrams and co-writer Lawrence Kasdan also used her surname for the character of Poe Dameron.
Rogers theater season
Arkansas Public Theatre will open the 2019-20 season, its 34th, with The Rocky Horror Show by Richard O'Brien, Sept. 13-15, 19-22 and 26-29 at the Victory Theatre, 116 S. Second St., Rogers.
The rest of the lineup:
• Nov. 1-3, 7-10: Ken Ludwig's A Comedy of Tenors
• Dec. 13-15, 20-22: A Tuna Christmas by Ed Howard, Joe Sears and Jaston Williams
• Feb. 7-9, 13-16, 20-23: Newsies, music by Alan Menken, lyrics by Jack Feldman, book by Harvey Fierstein based on the Bob Tzudiker-Noni White screenplay for the Disney film
• March 20-22, 26-29, 2020: Meteor Shower by Steve Martin
• May 1-3, 7-9, 2020: Buyer & Cellar by Johnathan Tolins
• June 12-14, 18-20, 2020: The Clean House by Sarah Ruhl
• July 24-26, 30-Aug. 2, 6-9, 2020: Musical, to be announced
For more information, call (479) 631-8988 or visit arkansaspublictheatre.org.
Style on 03/03/2019
Print Headline: Symphony duo to perform Bach Double Concerto