Tell us about your organization:
• Mission: We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.
Girls on The Run is a national nonprofit organization with programs designed to strengthen third- through eighth-grade girls' social, emotional and physical skills and behaviors to successfully navigate life experiences. During these uncertain times, it is even more important to foster these social-emotional skills. We believe that all girls are born with power and purpose and want to help the girls in our community reach their limitless potential not just for the length of our program but for life.
• Services provided: Due to the pandemic, we are offering a mixture of in person and virtual programming along with alternate activities for any participants without internet. Several new modifications have been made for the fall season: reduced team size to a maximum of 10 girls; curriculum modifications to adhere to social distance guidelines and minimize exposure; coach training in covid-19 safety policies including healthy hygiene practices, cleaning and disinfection considerations, etc.; elimination of shared materials by providing individual bags for girls with individual materials; training for coaches on the delivery of in-person and virtual lessons to assure no season interruption; and alternate activities for any participants without internet access, if needed.
• Who is eligible? All girls are eligible! We are committed to access and inclusion. We offer scholarships for those in financial need and can alter the program for anyone with special needs.
• How can services be accessed? Due to the pandemic we have adjusted our fall season to eight weeks for a combination of in-person or virtual for our existing sites. We are also offering GOTR at Home program for anyone who would like to participate. To find out more about joining one of these programs, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• What are your organization's most pressing needs? GOTR of NWA provides scholarships to approximately 88% of the girls participating in our program. Donations help provide scholarships so every girl can participate. We also need volunteers to mentor the girls. Mentors are trained and provided all the materials to deliver the program with confidence.
• Are there volunteer opportunities in your organization? What are they? For volunteer opportunities, you can visit our website at www.gotrnwa.org or contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• What other ways may people help? Join us for our upcoming Virtual Out of The Box Luncheon at noon Aug. 28. We will mail you an event packet including a gift certificate to The Hive along with other goodies to enjoy while we connect online. Tickets are $35 and can be purchased at gotrnwa.org/out-of-the-box. We are also offering our Inspiration Boxes for $20 ($25 with delivery) for purchase. Inspiration boxes are filled with a variety of donated items from our local sponsors and contain mystery prizes! Each purchase helps a local girl realize her limitless potential.
• Why do you work or volunteer for a nonprofit organization? Do you have a personal connection to the mission? If so, what is it? The Girls On The Run mission is near and dear to my heart. The life skills promoted through the curriculum are so important in these uncertain times. The connections created by both the girls and adults are such a source of inspiration and positivity to turn to despite having to be physically apart.
Virtual Out of the Box luncheon
Who: Girls on the Run Northwest Arkansas
What: Online featured speaker Kath McLay, mailed “goodies,” gift certificates, “Inspiration Boxes”
The nonprofit organization aims to “inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.”
When: Noon Aug. 28
Registration: $35; Inspiration Boxes
Information: (479) 531-4519 or gotrnwa.org/out-of-the-box
— Carin Schoppmeyercschoppmeyer@nwadg.com