Subscribe Register Login

Monday, July 06, 2015, 9:37 a.m.
Top Picks - Capture Arkansas

Space heater blamed for fatal fire in Little Rock

By Gavin Lesnick

This article was published June 12, 2013 at 2:25 p.m.

A space heater is thought to be the cause of a blaze that killed a Little Rock woman Tuesday night, officials said Wednesday.

Little Rock Fire Department Capt. Randy Hickmon said the bedridden victim had health issues and kept the space heater on "all the time" in the home at 1915 S. Park St.

"That appears to be what started the fire," he said.

Hickmon said the woman's son was also in the home and attempted to roll his mother's electric hospital bed out of the room when he noticed the fire.

He was unable to save her and sustained burns to his arms in the process. Hickmon said he was treated and released from a local hospital.

The fire was reported about 7:45 p.m., less than eight hours before another fire in which two people were found dead.

"It was a terrible night in Little Rock," Hickmon said.

Comments on: Space heater blamed for fatal fire in Little Rock

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

Subscribe Register Login

You must login to make comments.

Top Picks - Capture Arkansas
Arkansas Online