Subscribe Register Login

Thursday, August 21, 2014, 12:26 a.m.
Top Picks - Capture Arkansas

Space heater blamed for fatal fire in Little Rock

By Gavin Lesnick

This article was published June 12, 2013 at 2:25 p.m.

A space heater is thought to be the cause of a blaze that killed a Little Rock woman Tuesday night, officials said Wednesday.

Little Rock Fire Department Capt. Randy Hickmon said the bedridden victim had health issues and kept the space heater on "all the time" in the home at 1915 S. Park St.

"That appears to be what started the fire," he said.

Hickmon said the woman's son was also in the home and attempted to roll his mother's electric hospital bed out of the room when he noticed the fire.

He was unable to save her and sustained burns to his arms in the process. Hickmon said he was treated and released from a local hospital.

The fire was reported about 7:45 p.m., less than eight hours before another fire in which two people were found dead.

"It was a terrible night in Little Rock," Hickmon said.

Comments on: Space heater blamed for fatal fire in Little Rock

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

Subscribe Register Login

You must login to make comments.

TOP JOBS

  • Industrial maintenance mechanic/technicians

    Jasper Products Jasper Products, LLC is an industry-leading ...
    JOPLIN, MO

  • Saw superintendent

    -Cent AR const. co. hiring exp’d. conc. saw crew supt. Must ...
    EL PASO, AR

  • Sytlist

    Great Clips Now Hiring StylistBryant & Benton SalonsBase Wag...
    BRYANT, AR

  • Driver trainees

    25 driver traineesneeded now!Become a driver forTMC Transpor...
    LITTLE ROCK, AR

  • Music teacher

    music teacher-The North Little Rock School District has a va...
    LITTLE ROCK, AR

Search 891 jobs >

Top Picks - Capture Arkansas
Arkansas Online