Subscribe Register Login
Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 4:37 a.m.

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Picks - Arkansas Daily Deal

Patient arrives at Arkansas hospital saying he was poisoned by ricin, but claim untrue, authorities say

By The Associated Press

This article was published November 22, 2017 at 10:28 a.m.


Use the form below to sign up for any or all of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's free newsletters:

















FAYETTEVILLE — Authorities say hazardous materials crews responded to a hospital in Fayetteville after a patient arrived at the facility and said he'd been poisoned by ricin.

The Fayetteville Fire Department says the waiting room at Washington Regional Medical Center was briefly shut down Wednesday after the patient came in, carrying a bag of items that he said included ricin.

Authorities tell Fayetteville television station KHOG that the bag contained some type of beans, but it wasn't ricin. Authorities say there was no danger to the public.

Ricin is found naturally in castor beans. When purified, even a very small amount of ricin can kill, and there is no known antidote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Comments on: Patient arrives at Arkansas hospital saying he was poisoned by ricin, but claim untrue, authorities say

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

Subscribe Register Login

You must login to make comments.

ADVERTISEMENT

SHOPPING

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Picks - Arkansas Daily Deal
Arkansas Online